The status of a profession and the well being of the individual practitioner are affected not only by employing institutions, but also by government. The Department for Professional Employees actively promotes the public policy interests of member unions through direct lobbying and advocacy, along with the transmission of position papers to Congress and Federal agencies. DPE also assists affiliated unions with their legislative and regulatory priorities relating to their professional members.
DPE frequently contributes to the discourse surrounding matters of public policy that impact the professional and technical workforce. For older policy letters, statements, or press releases please visit the DPE archives.
- 3/31/2017 Entertainment Unions Urge Members of Congress to Preserve Federal Arts Funding
- 3/20/2017 DPE urges U.S. House members to support H.R. 1303, The H-1B and L-1 Visa Reform Act of 2017
- 1/11/2017 DPE Urges Members of Congress to Oppose the PAGE Act
- 1/10/2017 DPE Asks UC President Napolitano to Rescind Decision to Layoff UCSF IT Workers
- 1/5/2017 DPE Urges Opposition to the Protect and Grow American Jobs Act (H.R. 170)
- 10/27/2016 Sign-On Letter Urging Adequate Funding for the Federal Labor Relations Authority
- 10/25/2016 DPE Urges FCC to Publicly Release the Text of Revised Set-top Box Order
- 09/19/2016 Reject the Revised FCC Set-top Box Proposal
- 04/29/2016 National Organizations Opposing the Balanced Budget Amendment Sign-On Letter
- 06/08/2015 Labor Unions Oppose H.R. 235 (PITFA) Ban on State & Local Government Taxes on Internet Access
- 04/14/2015 Sign-On Letter Applauding Public Release of Department of Labor’s Proposal to Protect Americans’ Retirement Savings
- 03/16/2015 DPE Recommends Immigration Reforms to Protect Skilled Workers
- 01/20/2015 AFL-CIO Strongly Opposes the Immigration Innovation Act of 2015 (S 153)