The following organizing resources are available for DPE affiliated unions:
- The 2016 version of DPE’s Guide to Organizing Professionals provides insights for organizers who are organizing professionals.
- The guide includes issue and campaign strategies, organizing obstacles, and recommendations for outreach to professionals.
- Released in August 2016, Extend the Invitation was designed so that anyone could pick it up and develop and launch an internal organizing campaign in their workplace.
- Extend the Invitation is applicable to professionals and non-professionals.
Best Practices in New Hire Orientations
- Released in August 2016, best practices for new hires were identified based on interviews with union staff and leadership.
- An effective orientation program can have a lasting and outsized impact on the future strength of unions. This report and presentation offers simple, practical ways for union leaders and staff to develop or enhance orientations for new potential bargaining unit members.
- DPE staff is available to make a presentation on best practices for professionals and non-professionals.
- Survey of 1,004 non-union professional and technical workers was conducted by Hart Research Associates in October 2016.
- DPE is utilizing the survey results to create separate reports on the attitudes of:
-Young workers ages 21-34;
-Older workers ages 50 and over;
-Women and men;
-Professionals of color;
-Private, for-profit sector professionals;
-Nonprofit sector professionals;
-Government sector professionals;
-Professionals who believe unions are not effective;
-Professionals who disapprove of a union at work;
-Conservatives and moderates;
-Southerners, Westerners, Midwesterners, and Northeasterners.
- Attitudinal survey reports will include attitudes about unions; knowledge of unions and union effectiveness; perceived advantages and benefits of union membership; perceived disadvantages and concerns with having a union; preferred union qualities and values; perspectives on current job; and perspectives on their profession.
- Detailed analysis will be available for union staff and leadership and shorter one-page documents will be created for organizers.
For copies of reports or more information, please contact Assistant to the President/Research Director Jennifer Dorning at 202-638-0320 ext. 114 or firstname.lastname@example.org.